This circuit is the work from FENG3 from Japan.
This programmer works really nice and it does not need an external power supply.
Ive used it with a USB to SERIAL converter and it also does work, but it is really slow.
Not all the converters have the necesary power to drive this circuit.
The software I used is IC-PROG of Bonny Gijzen that supports many different devices(not only PIC).
Here are some important things to consider:
1. The GND line of a serial port forms relative VDD on a PIC programmer. All the GND symbols in a circuit diagram are a PIC programmer's GND. Never connect them with GND line of a serial port
2. This PIC programmer changes VPP in accordance with the device selected (8-18pin) or (28-40pin) with one sliding switch. So, if the insertion position of a device and slide switch is not set correctly, your PIC may be damaged by over voltage.
3. This PIC programmer does not support all PIC MCUs. (PIC16C5x is not programmable with this programmer By using an adapter, the 20 pin PIC 16C770/771 can be programmed.
4. I did not try all PICs since and I do not have all them. The PICs, which I successfully programmed and verified, are PIC12F629, PIC12F675, PIC16F627, PIC16F628, PIC16F630, PIC16F676, PIC16F818, PIC16F819, PIC16F84A, PIC16F873, PIC16F877A, PIC18F2320, PIC18F452.
5. "Hardware settings" of IC-Prog are the same as the JDM programmer.
6. If you use a USB to SERIAL converter make sure it is powerfull enough to drive the circuit. It is also very slow when programming.
NOTE: if you are not able to get the FET 2SJ377 these are replacements: SRF9024 or IRFR9024 and if you still cannot get any of those the programmer there is an alternative version of this circuit:
Multi PIC Programmer 5V2 - An alternative version
One problem of Multi PIC Programmer 5V2 is that it is difficult to find a 2SJ377 and its substitutes. 2SJ377 can be bought from RS Components. IRFR9024(D-PAK) can be bought from Digi-key. About BSP254A, it is uncertain whether it works well even if it is found.
Therefore, I improved Multi PIC Programmer 5V2 only a little at the end of last year. It is a circuit that can use a general purpose PNP transistor instead of a P-channel MOSFET.
SW2 is a board mount Post Header(3 or 2 posts, single row male) and a Post Shunt(Shorting Jumper).
This Multi PIC Programmer works as a usual JDM Programmer. When the switch-2 is on, this Multi PIC Programmer changes into VPP-FIRST mode
The switch-2 will be used only when both INTOSC and internal MCLR options are selected (PIC12Cxxx,PIC12CExxx,PIC12F629, and PIC12F675,etc. Please refer to the data sheet of each PICs for more details.)
I built it by using components that would be able to be bought even in your country. Though I have tested a few devices, it works well for now.
In the schematics and PCB layouts, there are somethings with a different connection of R5. Please disregard it because it must be not unrelated to function of hardware.
Download the Circuits and PCB layouts for the alternative version
Ari-ga-to! (Thanking you!)
All information on this site is given in good faith. The author assumes no responsabilities on the use of such information.
Copyright Matias Martino